My Nightmare Experience working for community options inc. Introduction
Disclaimer:
For the sake of consumer privacy, and to avoid defamation or slander, no real names will be revealed in this writing. Alternative names will be used for employees and consumers.
Introduction:
I felt that I needed to get this off of my chest. Take it how ever you please, but this is my story being an employee, working at Community options Inc. You will read about abuse, neglect, conspiracy, job cliques and trickle down corruption from the office to lead staff, to co-workers. It was just terrible, and I feel like venting.
So! Working in customer service all my life, I felt excited to be starting a job with a company I felt, at the time, I could be proud of. When people asked me where I worked, I proudly said that I take care of disabled individuals, teaching them independence. When I first signed up for the job, they pitched it as a company that basically help rehabilitate vulnerable adults. I don't know if rehabilitate is the word Im looking for, but you get the idea. We were teaching them to care for themselves and establish independence so that they can be on their own one day. Or, at least that's what I was lead to believe. Community Options takes everyone in, no matter how severally mentally or physically disabled they are. It's clear as day many of the consumers will never be able to achieve independence and live on their own, but Community Options takes them in anyway. Why? Well, the money of-coarse! One of the Consumers was a girl with Autism, who's behavior was erratic, couldn't speak in full sentences, was a runner, and very clingy. She got excited at the sight of new people, even strangers, and would run up to them and grab them. She had a very firm grip, and would need to be verbally prompted several times to let go of what ever person she was grabbing onto.
"Turn loose" we'd say
"Turn loose?" She'd repeat
"Yes, turn loose"
"Hi! How are yoooou!!!" She would greet the person she's holding onto
Sometimes she'd scream and throw herself to the ground, or become aggressive
Some people were startled, others were understanding. I remember a woman in the office being fearful of a visit, from who ever, because of this particular consumer. I don't know what the deal was about this consumer and why her behavior worried the people in the office, if we got visitors, but it did, and they usually tried to keep her hidden or out of the way. The thing is, Im fairly new to community options and still dont know how things quite work, but I had a feeling that there are certain individuals they're not supposed to take in if it's impossible for them to learn independence. I remember one of the co-workers at the house I use to work at, telling me about how she felt. She pointed out one of the consumers and said
"Now be very honest. Do you think she will ever be able to be on her own?"
I was honest and said no. This individual was both mentally and physically impaired beyond healing. She would always need someone to take care of her and look after her. I had a close relationship with this consumer, and she loves me to death, and I love her, but it's the truth. Her memory was bad, due to the brain damage she suffered, but she remembers me, and really likes me. Even after months of not seeing her, when I saw her again, her face glowed up and she said that she missed me, wondering where I went. She would always give me a hug. I had amazing relationships with all of my consumers, which is why I couldn't work at this Company any longer. My heart is too big for Community options, and this company was far too wicked for me to handle, as you will learn later.
This Co-worker went on to say something along the lines of how these types of consumers take up space from individuals who actually need and can use this program to get on their feet, and obtain independence. It was true, I couldn't argue with her, and other co-workers said the same thing. It was my first time ever working in this line of work. I don't know what's normal and what's not, but I know that this job tugged at something maternal inside of me. I was always good with children, and dream about being a mother someday. One day I'll be a housewife, and a stay at home mother, that's my dream. These consumers aren't children, well, most of them. Most of them are adults, but they all felt like my babies. I felt joy out of helping them, and bonding with them, taking care of them. The best part of my day would be going into work and talking to my consumers. I loved all of them, and just thinking about them all is giving me the warmest feeling in my heart right now as I write this, but is also bringing up feelings of sadness.
You see, not everyone had the heart for this line of work, and that's clear as day to see when you bare witness to some of the evil, narcissistic, and wicked, bully, sociopath personalities in this field of work. So let's start from the beginning.
Predators often seek out work where they have easy access to prey. For example: A pedophile might be drawn to work with children so that they be surrounded by kids.
Well, in this line of work, sociopaths, narcissists and bullies are drawn to this line of work because they like the power they have over those vulnerable and dependent on them. It's truly disgusting what I'm going to reveal to you all. It's not one or two bad apples, it's rotten from the core. Trickle down corruption, and someone needs to blow the whistle.
To be continued...
(Return for updates on this story in the next blog post)
Comments
Post a Comment